Can You Change Your Homeowners Insurance
There are several reasons why you might want to change your homeowner’s insurance policy, for instance. Please consult with a Long Island homeowners insurance company prior to making any major decision. Can you change your homeowners insurance?
- You’re moving into a new home and would like coverage for different than those covered by your old policy. Say, if you were considering earthquake coverage before, but the area around your current home is a relatively low risk for earthquakes.
- Your financial situation has changed, and now you would prefer more generous coverage.
- The balance of deductible versus premium makes more sense for your budget with another carrier.
- Your homeowner’s insurance claim has been recently rejected, and you’re looking to get a better deal from another insurer.
If any of these sounds like your situation, you might want to consider a few things first:
- Make sure that the new policy covers everything on your current one. A common mistake is not checking this detail.
- Never make changes to an existing policy without making sure about how much it will cost. Remember, even if you won’t be getting a quote, there may be some administrative fee involved, so find out what it is before canceling your old policy.
On the other hand, if none of these reasons applies to you and you just want to switch carriers because the rates with your current insurer are too high, you should probably first:
- Shop around and compare quotes. This is the only way to make sure that you’re really getting a good deal.
- Keep in mind, though, that rates vary from carrier to carrier.
Even if you’re ready to sign up with another insurer, there’s still some paperwork involved before your new policy can go into effect. It takes 30 days on average for an insurance company to send out new policies or bill customers after they’ve requested a change, so plan ahead.
There are several insurance companies that provide excellent selections of homeowners policies to meet all your needs. Look for a company that is knowledgeable and dedicated to providing you with the best possible service for a fair price.